Between 60 – 70 people packed into our seminar room at the Faculty of Education on Friday afternoon at the end of a busy week to attend a SL (Senior Leadership) themed ‘teachmeet’. The first SLTeachmeet – organised by Ross Morrison McGill @TeacherToolkit and Stephen Lockyer (@mrlockyer) – took place in London in 2012. A couple of us in SUPER then participated in #SLTeachmeet at the BELMAS Conference July 2013. Someone then suggested (or tweeted!) ‘Can we have a SLTeachmeet at the Faculty?’ With guidance and encouragement from Ross and Stephen, several face to face planning meetings, a shared Google doc and tremendous goodwill and support from a range of faculty and school partnership colleagues, we (i.e. Helena, Kev, Richard, Doug, Megan, Lucian, Bethan) finally made it happen. This has been a new and great way to work in partnership which hopefully we’ll do again!
17 intrepid teachers had volunteered to share aspects of their work with us, signing up for either 3 or 5 minute presentation slots. After as brief an introduction as possible (setting out our ground ‘rules’ of ‘leave your ego at the door/no selling/keep to time or else you’ll enrage Helena’s chirping blackbird/please tweet to #slteachmeet”) we were off!
Helena brilliantly clustered the presentations into themes which structured the evening’s programme (yes we avoided the dreaded ‘randomizer’ on this occasion!).
Unlocking potential through collaborative teacher-led research
- Kev Geall Improving teaching though Research Lesson Study @KevGeall
- Patrick Winter Embedding CPD through CamSTAR research triads @reteach10
- David Anderson Inclusive action research projects @UCCTandLPerson
Unlocking potential through innovative use of ICT
- Jacq Emkes SOLE and chips @JacqsJ
- Caroline Creaby Developing a teaching and learning website to support resource sharing and classroom practice @CarolineCreaby
Unlocking potential through curriculum initiatives
- Richard Spencer The ICE programme (KS3 curriculum and assessment) @richspencer1979
Unlocking potential through leadership efficacy
- Jill Berry 5 tips for managing workload (via video) @jillberry102
- Emma Kell Work-family balance and progression to leadership @thosethatcan
Unlocking potential through surplus-model CPD
- Stephen Lockyer #SLTCamp: the sequels (via video) @mrlockyer
- Dave Goode A teacher ‘expert’ approach to CPD – we already have all of the answers… we just don’t always realise it!
Unlocking potential through lessons in leadership
- Gill Bradnam Leadership thoughts & reflections @PrepSchHead
- Vanessa Whitcombe Overcoming the unexpected challenges of leadership @veblackwell
Unlocking potential through strategic school development
- Anthony Partington & Andy Daly Tying whole school plans to individual performance targets @ajpartington @DalyAF9
- Barry Collins Effective use of online lesson observation data @Barry_Collins
Unlocking potential through growing middle leaders
- Jen Ellison Moving from a pack of love hearts to a bag of rock @ded2je
- Helena Marsh Nurturing and nourishing talent: from magpies to multipliers @HelenaMarsh81
With a break for refreshments and networking half-way through we somehow kept to time and finished at 7pm!
We hope to share more reflections in further posts but in the meantime our ‘storify’ of event captures a flavour of the evening thanks to our avid tweeters (especial thanks to Dan Wright!). Click on this link for tweets and photos taken on the evening (links to online video presentations also!): #SLTeachmeet at Cambridge March 7th 2014